[LINK] Inquiry to examine Australian internet, phone surveillance

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Fri Dec 13 18:44:50 AEDT 2013

On 13/12/2013 3:10 PM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> Sigh ..
>
> "Warrantless Aussie surveillance requests were nearly 300,000 last year"
>
> For 20 million of us that's *one person in every 66 spied on* and without
> a warrant. One in 66 equals six Linkers. What a bunch of privacy perverts.

Warrantless requests are requests for data, such as call records, who called who, name
and street address that belong to telephone numbers etc. It would include things like
when police get a missing persons report or a hiker goes missing, checking their
mobile phone records and then trying to obtain the name and street address of the last
20 people to find out if they've seen the person since they went missing, and the
locations of towers the missing person was connected to recently to get a rough idea
of location to go searching.
Also attempts to use connection logs from seized servers to try to track each source
IP address back to the ISP to find the other users of the service.
One of these incidents might result in several tens or hundreds of information
requests, so I don't think a lot can be read into the quantum of the number.

As far as I know these requests don't include phone call taps, anyone listening in to
conversations or recordings of call data. These should need a warrant.

We can certainly argue about how many is too many, and drill down to what they were
for - but personally, I'm happy that some requests for information can be warrantless.
If I've fallen down a ravine, I'd like to know the rescue authorities can ask the
phone providers for my last rough location, and do it without a warrant so it has a
chance of happening before the phone battery runs out, or I die from exposure.

Paul.