[LINK] A security question

Dr Bob Jansen bob.jansen at turtlelane.com.au
Wed Dec 18 08:03:04 AEDT 2013

Linkers,

I have a security question one of you may be able to answer. Which device is more secure for internet banking, a laptop such as a macbook , an iphone or an ipad? As far as i am aware, the iphone and ipad's sandbox facility makes keyloggers difficult but then they do not have any antivirus capability (I use Sophos on the mac laptop, and it reports clean).

The reason I ask is that my internet banking account got hacked yesterday and they tried to make off with about 5K. The password was secure, at least I thought it was. It was a meaningless sequence of characters, upper and lower case and numbers, difficult enough to remember in the best of times.

I can only assume they were sniffing packets. My connection to the net is via a wireless link to an apple airport express I carry with me.

I am in South Korea for three months and need internet banking to pay my bills, etc.

As an aside, ING and Citibank have provided me with an RSA fob to verify who I am in certain transactions. I wonder as well if having a fob to generate a one time password is more secure (not ignoring the fact that RSA got hacked a some time ago).

Bobj

Dr Bob Jansen
Turtle Lane Studios
PO Box 26 Erskineville NSW 2043 Australia
Ph: +61 414 297 448
Skype: bobjtls
http://www.turtlelane.com.au