[LINK] UN declares that the right to privacy, including online privacy, is a human right

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Wed Dec 18 09:44:17 AEDT 2013

I'm thinking you're an incurable optimist, Jan

A couple of years back, he and the IPA were actively advocating destroying the Human Rights Commission when it failed to act on behalf of Andrew Bolt after his slanderous, libellous and unsubstantiated allegations against a number of aboriginal advocates.

Now (rather hypocritically I'd say) he accepts the job to head the Commission (with its $330,000 annual salary ... which I'd suggest eased the hypocrisy factor a bit) he advocated doing away with.

Not someone I'd be confident has the principles and integrity to do the job.

And ... aside from being conservatively opinionated and a stirrer, what were Tim Wilson's other qualifications for the job? What academic qualifications does he hold? What work experience has he had in the field?

No ... I'm thinking Brandis has just entered a tick against the HRC as a body that won't bother him or the government over the next few years with little numbers like the treatment of refugees and Australia's obligations under the UN Refugee Charter or anything to do with how the government treats it citizens, the disabled and impoverished and vulnerable, or even minorities (and yes, I know Tim Wilson is gay).

Just my 2 cents worth ...
---