[LINK] A security question

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Dec 19 11:25:25 AEDT 2013

At 11:06 +1100 19/12/13, Jim Birch wrote:
>From the behaviour of banks we might infer:
>(1) Multifactor identification is too hard for a proportion of their
>customers
>(2) The actual level of successful hacking is passably low

I think that factor needs re-phrasing, e.g.:

  (2) The level of successful hacking that costs banks serious money
or material reputational harm is sufficiently low.

Costs can arise from:
-   refunds that can't be charged on to someone else - seldom?
-   handling complaints

Reputational harm can arise from:
-   customers churning away from that particular bank faster than they
     churn inbound
-   a media stink that is sustained over 2-4 years, and becomes
     serious enough for regulators to start asking awkward questions