[LINK] A security question

Dr Bob Jansen bob.jansen at turtlelane.com.au
Sun Dec 22 13:10:10 AEDT 2013

I thought I'd update Linkers as to how I've addressed my internet
banking issue.

1. ANZ quickly reversed all suspicious transactions and have credited my
accounts with the amounts taken and made up for any charges, such as
cash advance against my credit card, suffered as a result. Great to
receive such a quick resolution and a credit to the bank.

2. I have installed Hide My Ass VPN, following a suggestions from a
Linker. This has, so far, not allowed a follow on attack. This has also,
as a side benefit, allowed me to circumvent geolocking on media content
so now I am a happy bunny indeed watching BBC and ABC content. Setting
it up was a breeze but I suspect this is because of the effort HMA has
gone in to to develop a simple environment. Others that I investigated
seemed far too complicated to establish. I know there are free VPN's out
there but I took to decision that you get what you pay for and HMA came
recommended and security costs, even if it is only $4 per month (Xmas
special!).

So, a good outcome for me.

Thanks to all Linkers who participated in the conversation. I have found
it very interesting and enlightening to read the discussion about fobs,
vpn, etc. One has a theoretical knowledge about a lot of things but
accurate good practical advice is rare indeed.

Merry Xmas and happy New Year to one and all and I look forward to an
enlightening Link list in 2014.

bobj

--
Dr Bob Jansen

In line with the Australian anti-spam legislation, if you wish to receive no further email from me, please send me an email with the subject "No Spam"