[LINK] Wireless Broadband for Regional Australia

Richard rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Dec 27 16:40:56 AEDT 2013

On 26/12/13 9:12 AM, Tom Worthington wrote:
> On 23/12/13 10:39, Paul Brooks wrote:
>
>> ... Mobile wireless broadband stats are counting USB dongles, pocket
>>   cellular/Wifi routers, and dedicated data-only SIMs ... It is not
>> valid to intercompare the mobile broadband and fixed broadband stats
>> in a meaningful way ...
> If we want to make rational resource decisions, then comparisons need to
> be made. The mobile wireless broadband statistics could be scaled down
> by the average number of people per Australian household, for comparison
> with household connections. In 2011, there were 2.6 people per household
> in Australia:
> http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/quickstat/0
Fine. There is a comparison available in the 8153 series, in which
mobile broadband downloads represent a trivial portion of total
downloads. Of course, part of this is telcos using price signals to
minimise downloads, but there isn't any special fu just around the
corner to change the constraints of mobile architecture: the base
stations are a choke-point now and will remain so forever.
> The number of people per household in Australia is falling. With only
> two or three people per household, is it worth planning a roll-out of
> broadband to homes?  If each home is to have a fixed connection, then
> that comes at a cost. I don't use a fixed connection at my home, so why
> should I subsidise yours?
What subsidy are you referring to, Tom? The fibre rollout was intended
to be recovered from its customers.
> Perhaps in telecommunications terms there is "no such thing as a
> household". Margaret Thatcher is supposed to have said "no such thing as
> society": http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Margaret_Thatcher
>
> Instead of a cable and wireless router for each house, one picocell in
> the street could be shared by about six homes. This would provide a
> service for about 16 people (plus those out and about in the street).
This eliminates only one aspect of the fibre rollout - the last hundred
feet. It's hardly a financial killer-punch to fibre, given that FTTN is
costing way more than the optimistic predictions given by the opposition
prior to the election.

The limits on wireless capacity aren't merely an arbitrary impost on
consumers. They're an attempt to manage the sharing of a limited
resource. That resource doesn't become unlimited merely because someone
believes it should be so.

RC