[LINK] Our future Generation being looked after by our Government

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Feb 2 01:10:45 AEDT 2013

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, tomk wrote:

> Yesterday I drove past a pre-school with approximately 30 bundles of joy
> playing out in the sun. They all had their hats on with supervisors
> ensuring that the hats stayed on.
>
> I cried.
>
> Cotton hats versus Alpha Beta and Gamma.

The hats are really intended to protect against UV-A and UV-B.  The
evidence that they work for this purpose is fairly strong.

Alpha particles aren't too bad.  Pretty short range.  As for beta
particles and gamma rays, my advice is to avoid standing too close to
strong radioactive sources :)

As for myself, I've always approached Sun protection in a moderate manner.
I do not slop on sunscreen at the first sign of the Sun, but if I know I
will be out for hours I most definitely make preparations to protect my
skin.

My 6 year old daughter inherited melanin in her skin from her mum (so she
does rather better in the Sun than I do) but we still use a hat and Sun
screen for her when appropriate.

Cheers,

Rob

--