[LINK] How does LinkedIn know my contacts?

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Mon Feb 11 14:19:09 AEDT 2013

LinkedIn , as many social networks do, allows a user to upload their entire email
address book so that the social network site can identify other members that the user
might want to connect with.

Those people you are being 'offered' have probably done this, and if your email
address was in their contact list or email address book, then LinkedIn now knows that
they have communicated with you at some stage, having matched one of the addresses in
their list with your registered email address.

> How is it doing this?  I have never given LinkedIn a direct link
> (that I know of) to my email contacts or used it anywhere except to login once
> or twice to TheConversation.edu.au for example.
The thing about email contacts is a two-way relationship. You haven't given LinkedIn
your email contacts - but these people you have corresponded with have given LinkedIn
theirs, and your address was in there.

Paul.