[LINK] Agimo info site frustrations (was going to say sucks)

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Feb 21 10:33:26 AEDT 2013

At 09:34 AM 21/02/2013, Tom Worthington wrote:
> > ... Have you tried to use this site lately to find anything?
> > http://agimo.gov.au/...
>
>Yes, when revising some course notes recently, I had more than the usual
>problems finding where AGIMO had moved its documents to. What I am
>tending to do now is replace links to the original documents with copies
>in the Internet Archive, as they don't move.

I do the same, Tom. Unfortunately, not everything is indexed there,
but most is, thank goodness! I discovered that some students in
'proxy-walled' countries, like Qatar, have the IA blocked. Weird, I
know, but I guess they are protective of their culture.

> > Any advice as to how I find this guide ...
>
>I find a public search engine more useful for finding documents, rather
>than internal links and search services.

Exactly what I did. I googled the document title to find it on the Agimo site.

Also, Pia has been in touch about this and said that they are working
on improving the search engine. What they are doing isn't easy, but
it seems that there are still some gaps in the new approach. I'm not
a fan of 'document type' structures when the end user has to guess
what is called a policy and what is called something else. A parallel
content grouping/sub-topic structure is much more useful to those who
don't work within departments to know their naming/assignment
conventions, particularly if the search function doesn't index all materials.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/