[LINK] Happy New Year

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Jan 1 10:09:04 AEDT 2013

Happy New Year to all linkers, wherever you are in the world.

What an interesting article, Stephen. As I was
reading along, I'm thinking, OK, some of this is
really great and uplifting (fewer deaths,
reduction in poverty). A few I wanted to say (but
but but --  fracking is a solution to oil
problems, without anything about the damage being
done to the water tables where it is being done;
and if you think the cost of brussel sprouts is
high now, just wait until overall food production
costs for all these new people who are being born
and are living longer kicks in). But the following one really surprised me:

At 11:20 PM 31/12/2012, stephen at melbpc.org.au you wrote:
>  Our cold
>winters still kill people, but the number dying each year halved over the
>past half-century. The winter death toll now stands at 24,000 — still
>unacceptable in a first-world country, but an improvement nonetheless.

That's crazy! Why is this so in the UK? Is it
really deaths due to winter cold, or just a count
of the number of Britons who die in winter, for
whatever reason? Get these people some heat, for goodness sake!

Anyway, lets look forward to a better 2013. I wasn't all that happy with 2012.

Cheers!
Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer