[LINK] CFA Mobile website inaccessible

tomk tomk at unwired.com.au
Fri Jan 4 18:49:53 AEDT 2013

On 4/01/2013 4:21 p.m., Richard Archer wrote:
> Dear CFA,
>
> I cannot access
> http://osom.cfa.vic.gov.au/public/osom/websites_headline_mobile.html
> from my laptop nor from my mobile.
>
> In addition, http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/osom.cfa.vic.gov.au
> also reports that this site is down.
>
> Please advise whether this site is indeed down.
>
> The bushfire incident maps seems to also be served from this server, so
> I can't access them either.
>
> Access to current information about bushfire status is a critical part
> of my bushfire plan, and if information about the status of fires is not
> going to be reliably available, I will need to reconsider my plans.
>
> Thank you,
>
>    ...Richard.

Richard not sure of the Map URL's however:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110706122552/http://osom.cfa.vic.gov.au/public/osom/websites_headline_mobile.html

is active (capture from Jul 6, 2011)

Hope it helps.

This is a sad state of affairs, when peoples lives are at risk because
the evacuation maps, fire trails and safety information and updates are
available from only one source.

Government and NGO management of public safety data needs to be cached
at multiple locations in case of negative occurring events requiring
their use.

I thought we discussed the last time Bush fires swept through Victoria.

Possibly Pandora could offer to stick up its hand for daily captures of
this type of data or during events possibly five minute caching on
incident updates would be appropriate.

This is a Federal issue across multiple States and Territories, not just
a Victorian CFA matter.

Incident sitreps and updates should be available cached in every state
and Territory for Earthquakes, Sea levels, floods, Fire, Cyclone,
Typhoons, Hurricanes and Severe Storms, Solar Weather should all get an
urgent priority from Government to keep the public informed.
Every State so that in the event of power failure, washout or
communication breakdown the last data is still locally available for
friends and relatives of persons in disaster affected areas.

Whose in charge of this ? Is there a Government department that looks
after keeping the public informed ?
If so why isnt Richard, an acknowledged geek aware of the existence of
alternatives ?

TomK

--
That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley