[LINK] Ubiquiti´s totally disruptive 24Ghz unlicensed "AirFiber" looks awesome

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:48:23 AEDT 2013

Creating point-to-point links of up to 1.5 gigabits, up to 13km (8
miles) afar just got a lot easier it seems , using the unlicensed 24
Ghz band, with a single-piece device which can be installed by a
single person, is powered by Power Over Ethernet, and includes
everything in the kit (POE power supply) . If they deliver what they
promise, this is BIG NEWS... and coming from Ubiquiti, I´m not
surprised... these guys are totally disruptive making carrier grade
wireless affordable for small ISPs and even hobbyists willing to
spend. (It certainly costs less than digging and laying fibre
underground).

I´m not sure about Australia, but IMHO these devices are BIG NEWS for
countries like Argentina and crowded cities like Buenos Aires where
deploying fiber underground is reported to cost new players (who don´t
have access to the incumbent´s copper ducts) USD $100 per meter
counting civil works and permits. I guess the 24+ Ghz band will start
to get crowded...

http://www.ubnt.com/store/airfiber/airfiber_24

Ubiquiti Networks (UBNT) Wins Product of the Year for airFiber Platform
http://lnkd.in/v_DU3B

@scubacuda Awesome interview with Gary Schultz of UBNT.
AirFiber totally hits the mark
http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20121227/infrastructure-2/ubiquiti/

Now I "only" need to come up with 3 grand greenbacks, plus shipping
and 50% duties...
;-)

FC
Buenos Aires, Argentina

PS: I wouldn´t be surprised if regulators suddenly decide that the 24
Ghz band needs to become licensed... this is too disriptive for the
established telcos aka money-sucking mafia
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell