[LINK] A new way around end user privacy controls?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Jan 9 12:13:17 AEDT 2013

Padvocates (and linkers)

This morning a member of the Link discussion group sent round a link
to an apps enabler for Windows and Macs, called Bluestacks,
http://www.bluestacks.com/. That software allows for the use of
smartphone/tablet apps on a regular laptop. I decided I'd have a go,
thinking I need even more time fillers/wasters (ha!). Here's what I
discovered about how this works.

The bluestacks software is actually a browser replacement as well as
an Android installer. So if you go to the apps stores to login to get
an app, you are provided with their software, say Angry Birds, and a
link to the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policy for
the company/app (if you look hard enough). If you read it, all those
avoidance strategies we who care about privacy install in our
browsers are no longer available because these apps are running in a
3rd party environment -- bluestacks. Of course the policy gives the
app company the right to just about anything they want, just because
they expose all that in the policy you have to agree to in order to
use their software. To top that, the only reason I even saw the link
to their policy was by clicking on an 'Info' icon and the screen that
scrolls up as a result lists a link to the Privacy Policy and the
License agreement. Better be quick, too, to click it.

Another thing the bluestacks software does is automatically install
Facebook. I was going to keep that, but then after discovering how
the software actually works, deleted it. Trust Facebook outside a
regular browser? No way. It also installs Twitter, which I haven't
heard much about in terms of privacy problems, so I'll leave it for now.

My quandary is what to do about the game I installed. I can uninstall
it. But I can't protect myself from how it operates. I guess I could
run it in sandbox. Hmmm... must give that some thought.

Just thought I'd put this out there as a new point of tension.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/