[LINK] The Main Problem With GM Food Is The Patent, Not The GM

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 13:09:53 AEDT 2013

On 2013/Jan/10, at 11:27 AM, Jim Birch wrote:

> Despite a few decades of GM none of the imagined dangers have eventuated.
> Most of them indicate a essentialist take on biology and genetics rather
> than a modern scientific understanding.  It's a medieval way of looking at
> the world.  However, people in rich countries have the ability to indulge
> their whims and can eat more-or-less what they like. People living in poor
> regions with limited arable land of the world have a right to adequate good
> food too.

The reason no dangers have eventuated is that GM crops have not been subject to real testing because the corporate interest, money and lobbying and the US revolving doors with the federal authorities involved have made sure no testing was needed or done.  The controversy surrounding GM foods have slowed the take up and the same corporate interests have limited GM foods to ones that make money, not ones that might help feed people.

Even so corporate interests in seeds and monoculture have seen us drastically losing the diversity of our original food crops.  Original food crops we will need if we get major pests attacking our monoculture or changes in climate.  Examples of this that we've seen already are bananas, - we've lost most varieties of bananas already, we're losing the original varieties of wheat as the areas that wheat came from are being sown with modern varieties.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant