[LINK] 3D Print Toilet Parts to Save the Planet?

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Fri Jan 25 15:55:00 AEDT 2013

On 24/01/2013 6:51 PM, Rachel Polanskis wrote:
> I am thinking about acquiring a 3D printer, to make replacment parts for certain gadgets,
> but I need the right plastics.  I figure there is a small market for these along with odd artistic one offs,
> model kits, train sets etc.  One day I think it will be possible to take a holographic laser image from your
> phone, upload the model, edit and publish to reality.  Now how do I patent what I just said?!
I doubt the cost of a truly useful 3D printer will ever come within the
range that an individual could pay. The best we'll be able to do is make
toys.

That said, there's no reason why someone creative couldn't send their
designs to the equivalent of a print shop (fab. shop?) for fabrication
on more capable equipment (by people with the skills to do it well). I
see business opportunities here.

There are opportunities for businesspeople who are willing to invest in
Selective Laser Sintering, Stereolithography and good old-fashioned
lathes/mills. There will still be cases where it's easier to use
old-style subtractive techniques than new-fangled additive ones.

--
David Boxall                    |  Perfection is achieved, not when
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  when there is nothing left to take
                                |  away.
                                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery