[LINK] CSIRO: Digital Productivity and Services Flagship

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jan 28 17:16:21 AEDT 2013

New national research push to create A$4 billion a year in digital
services by 2025.

<www.csiro.au/en/Portals/Media/CSIRO-gives-digital-economy-a-boost.aspx>

 28th January 2013

The CSIRO will today launch Australia's largest publically-funded
research initiative focused on the digital economy.

The Digital Productivity and Services Flagship, CSIRO's tenth National
Research Flagship, is a A$40 million research initiative focusing on the
services sector and optimising the full value of national broadband
infrastructure.

The Director of the Flagship Dr Ian Oppermann says the new Flagship is
focused on helping Australia transition from being a predominantly
resource-focused nation by developing and delivering more efficient and
innovative digitally-enhanced services.

"Australia is faced with the challenge of maintaining a competitive
economic edge in an increasingly complex and resource-limited world," Dr
Oppermann says.

"Our labour productivity has declined from around 92 per cent relative to
the US in 1998 to around 84 per cent in 2010, meaning Australia's
economic prospects beyond the current resources boom will deteriorate
significantly if the decline in our productivity growth performance is
not reversed.

"A successful digital economy is essential for Australia's economic
growth and to maintain our international standing.  The services sector
represents about 80 per cent of Australia's GDP, so if we are to help
Australia grow, we must help businesses and government deliver services
in new, faster and better ways.

"CSIRO's expertise in cybersecurity, broadband technologies and services
science positions us as the key organisation to take on this research.
While some of our work will be in labs, most of it will happen out in
businesses and departments across Australia; finding ways to apply
technology to improve the way they deliver their services."

Dr Oppermann says the Flagship has the potential to transform a range of
areas – from the way health services are delivered to the way banks
manage their funds.

"For example, we are working to reduce hospital waiting times and
identify bottlenecks in Queensland hospitals by predicting how many
patients will turn up in emergency departments, and when.

"By investing in our services sector we aim to help Australia remain
competitive in the global economy, now and into the future. We are
looking forward to working with our government and industry partners to
help Australia grow through the digital economy."

The Flagship builds on CSIRO's successful track record in health service
delivery, logistics, finance and communications. The Flagship will
initially focus on four key research areas:

Government Services – develop efficient and effective information use,
government services and systems through improved decisions, coordination
and customer centricity.

Commercial Services – with a strong focus on financial services, develop
efficient and effective commercial services and systems through better
use of capital and improved service delivery models and processes across
supply chains.

Smart, Secure Infrastructure – extending and securing Australia's
physical and cyber infrastructure, including the extension of wireless
broadband services.

Health Services – improving the safety, quality and efficiency of health
services for all Australians by delivering technology in partnership with
all State Health Departments.

The Australian Centre for Broadband Innovation (ACBI) is also a key
platform for facilitating new research projects within the Flagship. The
goal of ACBI is to develop and test innovative broadband-enabled
services, applications and technologies and their use in real world
situations.

Senator the Hon. Stephen Conroy, Minister for Broadband, Communications
and the Digital Economy, will officially launch the Flagship with guests
from industry, government and innovation sector, at an event in Sydney
today. This will also feature a key-note presentation by Sir Tim Berners-
Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web, in his first public appearance in
Australia in 15 years.

For more information, please visit Digital Productivity & Services.

--

Cheers,
Stephen