[LINK] World Education

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jan 30 14:36:33 AEDT 2013

>> Using telecommunications for mass distance education is not exactly
>> a new idea ..
>
> ... distance ed, telecourses, 'alternative' education, correspondence
> study -- call it whatever you will, has a long history (some trace back
> to the 1700s) ..

Might appear to miss a major point which was clear in the original item,
being that the new developments in online-education are increasingly and
significantly "peer empowered" and in ways for which older correspondence
study, for example, was an impossibility. This means that, instead of top
down ivory-tower models for student education and learning, by design one
major learning modus-operandi is for student interaction, discussions and
peer support. So that as in real life we learn from each other as much as
from experts. This is quite a qualitatively different learning experience
and one development certainly very much welcome in this international era.

Cheers,
Stephen