[LINK] A replacement for the newspaper

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Tue Jul 9 09:36:39 AEST 2013

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013, Roger Clarke wrote:

> At 8:39 +1000 9/7/13, Dr Bob Jansen wrote:
>> I have been searching for a replacement for my morning newspaper,
>> since the Sydney Morning Herald introduced its paywall like the
>> other newspapers.
>
> Snap.
>
> Although my motive wasn't the paywall.  (Their bundled price is
> currently a fraction lower than I've been paying for years through my
> newsagent).
>
> My concern is that not only the presentation, but also the content,
> has been greatly dumbed down, particularly since the switch from
> broadsheet to tabloid format.

It seems I am unfettered at work with an AARNET connection!
I am still testing but I have broken the 30 article limit already
and haven't been blocked.  Hopefully this will continue.  At home
I now am starting to read other sites.  I do like the SMH, but they
are going to alienate a lot more people than they will attract through
the paywall.  It's a broken business model and advertising alone should
be able to pay its way.....

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html