[LINK] Browser Add-on

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Jun 4 00:00:35 AEST 2013

Thanks for this Rick. Apologies for my delay in responding, but I wanted
to await any more replies, before reposting. There is 4 opinions in all:

> The following has just been posted to an online group. Does any Linker
> know anything about this, good or bad?  (Quote ..)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint/

The (above) page says that the Mozilla team have reviewed this plug-in
as "experimental" or "preliminary":

"Experimental add-ons have been checked by our editors to make
  sure they don't have security problems, but they may still have
  bugs or not work properly. Use caution when installing experimental
  add-ons and uninstall the add-on immediately if you notice problems."

> This add-on slows down Firefox loading of websites.

At a guess, this add-on configures Firefox to use a proxy in another
country, i.e. in the UK for BBC media, which will indeed slow down
your loading of websites. You can check this by looking at the proxy
section of the Firefox configuration preferences.

cheers
rickw

--
Reply 2
Just be careful of what it does in the background (more technical details

--
Reply 3
Sounds like it is a VPN (Virtual private network) add on. I use Chrome as

--
Reply 4
I was using Hotspot Shield for quite a while and was always reliable that
is until recently. It would no longer allow me to connect forcing me to
install the upgraded version. So ok, I'll bite. I upgraded. Tried to
stream...Not allowed from your region. Huh? OK, I went on speedtest to see
what server I was locked on to and guess what? I was using London! I'm like
what the he** is this? I checked on their support site. It says the country
is selectable. But...There's a catch. It works only in the "Elite" version!
I said to myself, "Sorry I'll pass" and uninstalled it. I'm now worried at
this point because I need this to use Xoom to do my pension transfer to my
bank account. I started to look at Google VPN's and looked at many. Most
were pay sites until I stumbled onto this site. It is called Soft Ether. It
is a free program sponsored by a Japanese University who feels that no one
has the right to censor what you want to watch. This program works great.
It will allow you to lock on to any available free VPN site in any country
it has on it's list. I did a tracert to Google to see if my IP showed up
and it didn't. Cool. I was not only able to do my Xoom again but lets me
see streaming like CBS, HULU etc not just in the US but BBC in UK for those
from UK.
--

Cheers,
Stephen