[LINK] "Advancing Australia as a Digital Economy"

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Jun 14 08:47:45 AEST 2013

On 13/06/13 09:07, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:

> Forgive me for being curmudgeonly ...

The Link List supports the curmudgeonly. ;-)

> ... how most (all?) theseinitiative will make Australia a
> "world-leading digital economy"
>
> An economy is more than "digital" technology. ...

Digital technology can be an enabler for the economy.

As an example, one of Australia's major exports is tertiary education.
At present the international students mostly come to Australia, with
some at overseas campuses for part of their studies.

University education is moving to a blended mode: partly on campus and
partly on-line. If Australian universities do not offer this form of
education, the students will go elsewhere. There will be a loss of
billions of dollars of export income to the nation. The problem is to
get university academics trained within the next few years in how to do
high quality on-line education.

> "... use of "digital" technology as replacement mechanisms will
> result in less economic activity - it will be cheaper and need fewer
> people.  ...

Australia has a choice of using the digital technology, with some people
employed, or not use it and have no one employed.

ps: Linkers are invited to my talk on "MOOCs with Books" at ANU, 4pm, 8
July: http://moocs.eventbrite.com.au/

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/