[LINK] Fwd: A new O/S for Windows applications

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Tue Jun 18 09:47:47 AEST 2013

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013, David Lochrin wrote:

> It seems there's a new open-source O/S known as ReactOS which will run Windows applications.  From my SourceForge newsletter:

It seems the ReactOS extends WINE by using the DLL linkages in WINE.
It looks like it is playing catch up with WINE a bit too....
I think WINE can run on more platforms, but ReactOS seems to handle
some binaries better.

All said, Microsoft has bet the farm on Win8, Surface and now Xbox One.
All of which are copping a lot of criticism.

One hopes the MS monopoly will eventually fold under the weight of its
own hubris and support for things like WINE and ReactOS become more
practical ways to access Legacy Microsoft products on more stable
platforms like OSX and UNIX.

rachel

> -------
> ReactOS Is the June Project of the Month
>
> The June SourceForge Project of the Month is ReactOS, a free, modern operating system written completely from scratch and based on the design of Windows XP/2003.
>
> We chatted with Aleksey Bragit, and you can read that conversation on the SourceForge blog at
> http://newsletter.sourceforge.net/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pb08,1ir1k,10s8,5ymj,3e6e,j4w,1yt6
> and download ReactOS at:
> http://newsletter.sourceforge.net/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pb08,1ir1k,10s8,kwut,5j8f,j4w,1yt6
> -------
>
> The website states:
>
> "ReactOS is an operating system implementing the NT kernel with a win32 subsystem, which would allow the use of both Windows drivers and applications on a non-Microsoft developed OS.  The project goal is often oversimplified as a ?clone? of Microsoft Windows, but that is not an accurate description.  After all, one cannot clone a programming interface, one can only implement it."
>
> and
>
> "ReactOS is actually an implementation targeting the NT5.2 kernel, more generally known as Windows Server 2003 SP1 or XP SP3.  And based on the disgruntlement with the direction Microsoft has taken with Windows 8, there does seem to be considerable interest in an implementation of the NT operating system that adheres to a more traditional desktop environment."
>

> I wonder what Microsoft think, and whether it uses any of the work done with Crossover Office?
>
> David L.

Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html
 	The more an answer costs, the more respect it carries.