[LINK] Spam from New Australian Prime Minister

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Jun 28 10:42:23 AEST 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 08:29 +1000, Tom Worthington wrote:

> Appended is a curious email I received, from "Kevin", the new Prime
> Minister, asking for donations to the ALP. The language used in the
> message does not match previous public statements by the PM. I am not a
> member or volunteer for any political party, so I am not sure why I got it.
>
> Spam Assassin gave it a low score (1.1), with tests activated: BAYES_20
> -0.001, DCC_CHECK 1.1, HTML_MESSAGE 0.001, LANGUAGES en,  BAYES_USED
> user, SA_VERSION 3.3.2
>
> So I have marked it as Spam to train the filter to block future such
> messages and also clicked the "un-subscribe" button.
>
> Did anyone else get this? Is there some way to stop members of
> Parliament sending such messages?

Can you send the full headers?  (off-list is fine if you prefer).

To answer your question in case it is legitimate, no, political trash
(along with charities and certain other garbage like religious) is
(wrongly IMO)  specifically exempt from the Spam Act.  However, there is
nothing stopping your Email provider from blocking them, so I recommend
forwarding it to abuse@

But I would be highly surprised if it was in fact genuine.