[LINK] Skype in/with China is censored/spied upon

Jim Birch planetjim at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 11:04:39 AEDT 2013

On 20 March 2013 01:16, <stephen at melbpc.org.au> wrote:

Monopoly high simulation of human skin mask

Wow, I'm not sure what one of them is and why the government would want to
know who is doing it.  But I want one.

Complex Chinese words are made up of strings of characters that each have a
sound and a simple meaning.  New characters don't get created like we can
coin new words, instead new combinations of atomic ideas are forged.  For
example, the "Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party" is
something like "Middle Country Common Yield Association In Centre Appoint
Member Can", and "falun gong" is "Law Round Merit".  Often there are a
cluster of meanings, so the "round" in falun gong could mean round, wheel,
spear, rifle, ring, etc.  Literal translations make interesting and
sometimes amusing reading.  Other imported words use the sounds of the
Chinese characters to approximate the sound of the imported word so the
meanings are irrelevant - amphetamine would be an example of this
construction. I guess "Monopoly high simulation of human skin mask" might
be in this category.

Jim