[LINK] NBN glitch? NOT

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sun May 5 14:58:55 AEST 2013

The press will definitely have to come to terms with the various
components involved in a communications link. This one is an OMG
moment for a few reasons:

NBN switch-on suffers tech glitch
http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/government-it/nbn-switchon-suffers-tech-glitch-20130505-2j0x8.html

NBN Co spokeswoman Rhonda Griffin said the fault was to do with a
glitch in the audio-visual software.

"The connection was restored in seconds," she said.

Aside from the drop out, the video conference's audio quality wasn't
spectacular and there was about a three-second delay - but that
didn't appear to wipe the smiles off of the children reading along
with Mr Griffiths. The video itself was crystal clear and you could
make out the book's front cover that Mr Griffiths was reading.
====

1. video conference equipment does have software and if the handshake
isn't properly made, it can drop out. The article doesn't say what
system they were using.
2. 3 second delay? Are you kidding me? On a fibre connection?????
That is just crazy time! We didn't have those sorts of delays on the
ISBN network. My guess: the people doing the connection don't have
the technical know-how for the equipment they attached to the system.

I hope maybe someone on link can shed some light on this. I worked
with a range of video conf equipment for a number of years and a 3sec
delay didn't even happen on the WORST equipment back in the 1990s.
What is going on here??

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com