[LINK] Message from ASIC or not?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu May 16 09:22:59 AEST 2013

Linkers,

I just renewed my business name because ASIC is now doing it instead
of the state of Victoria. That all appears legitimate based on a
paper letter I received from them. I did all the payments etc. online
as instructed.

Today I got an email from them (??) that I'm always leary of because
there are so many spoofs. So instead I went to the ASIC account and
there are no records of messages being sent to me. So I looked at the
full header of the email I received (below) and it appears to be
coming not from Australia, which is always a clue that something
isn't legit. HOWEVER, given the amount of outsourcing for email that
is done by government agencies today (I went a few rounds with
AUSTRAC about this for a couple years, as well as advising other govt
agencies about this as a problem), it's hard to know what is real and
what isn't.

The embedded links are using what appear to be ASIC addresses for the
hidden links.

I've sent all the info to ASIC along with a question about their
practices, which was not easy, I'll tell ya. They won't accept a
plain text message and only allow 2000 characters in their message
field. They also do NOT accept emails themselves!

Jan

>         by quark1.sge.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6CDAB367C39
>         for <jwhit at janwhitaker.com>; Thu, 16 May 2013 07:17:13 +1000 (EST)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/