[LINK] ASIC to review website blocking procedures

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu May 30 13:18:23 AEST 2013

Watchdog to review website blocks

Published: May 30, 2013 - 1:06PM

Australia's corporate watchdog will review how it goes about blocking
access to dodgy websites as part of a crackdown on frauds and scams.

Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) chairman Greg
Medcraft says quick action to deny access to these websites has a
major impact on the amount of money lost by duped investors.

It emerged earlier in May, ASIC had used Section 313 of the
Telecommunications Act to block Australians' access to fraudulent websites.

Mr Medcraft told a Sydney conference ASIC had used that section of
the act 10 times in the past 12 months, where the regulator asks
local internet providers "to block Australians' access to the
internet address hosting that site, which is usually overseas".

However, ASIC's actions also led to about 1,200 websites
inadvertently being blocked as well, including education website
Melbourne Free University.

"We are reviewing our procedures to ensure that this does not happen
again," Mr Medcraft told the 2013 annual stockbrokers conference in
Sydney on Thursday.

"Obviously we are not targeting legitimate websites.

"However, we don't apologies for blocking the sites of criminal
fraudsters and we will continue to take action to prevent scammers
ripping off Australians."

Mr Medcraft said Australians has lost hundreds of millions of dollars
over the past 15 years, "often with devastating consequences".

"Cyber crime is something ASIC takes very, very seriously and we will
keep fighting against these fraud sites," Mr Medcraft said.

This story was found at:
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-business/watchdog-to-review-website-blocks-20130530-2ndir.html

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com