[LINK] RIP Printed Evidence of Payments

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Nov 1 13:01:06 AEDT 2013

Michael Skeggs mike at bystander.net wrote:
<snip>
> I recognise that many people in IT don't know anyone who is complaining,
> but that speaks more to the narrow circles many people mix in (me included)
> not a reflection of the real environment.
> Case in point, I am involved in a newish community group who does almost
> 100% of our coordination online.
<snip>
I have been involved in numerous groups and observed the transition. My
view has always been that everyone has to be involved. It is very good
discipline if you still have to include people in the loop via papermail -
if only to ensure their valuable input.

It is not IT people but those with "IT Skills" that are probably the worst
offenders. After all those of us in IT have always been well aware of
incompatibility between systems. In recent days, I have battled with
WIN???.dat attachments - it was pretty challenging to communicate the
problem - a suggestion to consult the IT department met with this is
personal and not worth bothering them with. In the end I got them to cut
and paste the info into an Email.

After much protest many years ago, I have now become a convert to the way
of PDF (though outlook still takes PDF files and hides them).

On a slight tangent, I was hearing the virtues of Google's drive for
collaborating on documents - though the start and finish still seemed to
involve cutting and pasting into MS Word/Sharepoint. There are also those
who swear by the Apple thingo.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz