[LINK] Tracking phones when they are switched off

Gordon Keith gordonkeith at acslink.net.au
Wed Nov 13 09:04:07 AEDT 2013

When my nephew went missing earlier in the year he had has phone with
him, but it was switched off. It took several hours before the phone
pinged a tower (although he was also travelling through an area which
may have had poor coverage).

The impression I got (second hand) was that phones that are off still
ping towers but much less frequently (less than hourly) than phones that
are on and that the police have no trouble getting the information in
near real time when searching for missing minors.

No idea of the make or model of the phone but not a smart phone.

Regards
Gordon