[LINK] Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Fri Nov 15 14:33:18 AEDT 2013

Yeah,

Like the so-called Free Trade Agreement the PREVIOUS government eagerly signed and was so avid to get, Andrew 'Bend-Over-And-take-It-Up-The-Behind'' Robb and the CURRENT government now want enter another agreement, largely written to protect and enhance American corporate interests at the expense of national sovereignty in other jurisdictions, to spread the misery around the Pacific.

Me? I start dealing with the cheapest most convenient quality assured producers on the planet - the Chinese. Hey, we do export a heap of rock and greenhouse emitting substances there, they do produce state-of-the-art technology (largely thanks to those same American companies that TPP is supposed to represent who show no loyalty to their own country when push-comes-to-shove), and unlike the US at the moment it is on the ascendant whilst the US slides into the mire of stifling ideas and creativity through its Dark Ages intellectual property regime that extends the rights of licensees, to the detriment of both owners and consumers. (The Americans will eventually wake up to the fact that they're cutting their own throats .... but it will probably take some time and a goodly turnover of politicians.)

And what will the average Australian get out of the deal?"

# Medicines and pharmaceuticals will cost more
# Generic drugs will take longer to appear on our market
# The current region locked inequitable pricing schemes for software, content and other multimedia will be locked in and probably extended
# Far more draconian copyright regimes will be put in place that boa-fide users and taxpayers will no doubt fund
# Major international corporations will be able to contest policy decisions of the Australian government in local and overseas jurisdictions (e.g. on tobacco/cigarette controls, public safety legislation, workers conditions etc etc) which affect their trading and profitability.
# Numerous other instances of increased consumer cost, inconvenience, and reduction in value of goods and content purchased

Oh yeah, if the current government continues to support this turkey, to advocate for it against all the objections by prospective non-US governments who are debating the prospective treaty, and to institute its provisions so that its own taxpayers and electorate are adversely affected ... well,  I say good luck to them. They were largely elected to decrease the 'cost of living' ... if they get us into something that actually increases it and imposes further burdens on Australian families and consumers ... then good luck dealing with that at the next election.

If it was me, I'd be REALLY careful about getting into this puppy - because the potential for it to backfire and blow up in their faces is extremely likely given the provisions I've seen them supporting so far.

Just my 2 cents worth ...
---