[LINK] IT fail - US style

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sat Oct 19 10:32:13 AEDT 2013

Anyone following the implementation of the US
"Obamacare" scheme? Queensland could use it as a
comparison project bigger than their own health
payroll system that is apparently on its knees. I
haven't read any articles yet saying who developed it. Anyone on here know?

 From Politico:
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/obamacare-aca-website-broken-98412_Page2.html
Even some liberal commentators and White House
allies who seemed willing to give the
administration a long leash have been dismayed by
reports of poorly written code, malfunctioning
hardware and downright mismanagement.

It's really a complex site, as you would expect. Here's the sitemap:
https://www.healthcare.gov/sitemap/
BTW, I was able to load the main site and other pages just fine.
https://www.healthcare.gov/

Here's an interesting explanation: too many
interconnected systems - can we say multiple points of failure?
http://www.psmag.com/health/heres-healthcare-gov-broke-68443/
That's just what happened: On Oct. 2, officials
identified a bottleneck where those systems
intersect at a software component sold by Oracle
Corp. that still hasn't been cleared.
Deadline after deadline was missed. The biggest
contractor, CGI Federal, was awarded its $94
million contract in December 2011. But the
government was so slow in issuing specifications
that the firm did not start writing software code until this spring,
At the heart of the federal IT crisis is a
complex system of regulations that rewards
contractors that are better at bidding on giant
federal contracts than at building software.

For anyone with a GoogleDrive account:
Here are all the contractors working on Obamacare
­ and all the money they spent on lobbying and
campaigns. http://t.co/qGvaJlvFtM

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you,
you're gonna die, so how do you fill in the space
between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer