[LINK] Microsoft buying Nokia Mobile business

Brendan brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 3 14:49:59 AEST 2013

On 09/03/2013 01:55 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Jan Whitaker <jwhit at janwhitaker.com> wrote:
>
>> Whoa.....
>

> Yeah, I'm sure they use Nokia's patents to go after Ubuntu's MobileOS and
> also Jolla's SailfishOS (also Linux based).

Apparently not:

Nokia's CTO (Chief Technology Office) organization and patent portfolio will remain within the Nokia Group. The operations that are planned to be transferred to Microsoft generated an estimated EUR 14.9 billion, or almost 50%, of Nokia's net sales for the full year 2012.

As part of the transaction, Nokia will grant Microsoft a 10 year non-exclusive license to its patents as of the time of the closing, and Microsoft will grant Nokia reciprocal rights related to HERE services.

http://press.nokia.com/2013/09/03/nokia-to-sell-devices-services-business-to-microsoft-in-eur-5-44-billion-all-cash-transaction/