[LINK] Not so smart Cybersmart.gov.au

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Wed Sep 4 15:22:21 AEST 2013

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:01:02 +1000, James Collins wrote:

> According to the Protected Network, netalert.gov.au tested down on
> 2013-02-13 19:51:12  - Which means it had been down for at least a
> week at that time.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the domain web site disappeared about 2 years before
2/2013, and most of the site's information pages had disappeared at least 1
year before that.

NetAlert was a C'th government company, and the ASIC website says the
company "NetAlert Limited" was de-registered in Nov. 2008 - which is about
a month after Conroy announced that the provision of free downloadable
NetAlert-provided PC filters would very soon cease, and be replaced by ALP
govt's intended mandatory ISP-level filtering/blocking of adults' access
(and that technical support for those who'd previously downloaded a
PC-filter would continue for some time after that). To my knowledge, the
ALP govt never announced that the company NetAlert, and its Internet Safety
Advisory Board, had ceased to exist (which did more, albeit not all that
much more, than provide free PC-based filters).

Web.Archive.Org apparently has not found netalert.gov.au site more recently
than April 2011, at which time, and for about 12 months before that, was
apparently only a home page, which said free downloads ceased in Dec 2008
and technical support had ceased as of 30 June 2010.
http://web.archive.org/web/20110425142928/http://www.netalert.gov.au/

Presumably not long after April 2011, C'th gov't decided to delete the
domain/site altogether, i.e. not even auto redirect to cybersmart.gov.au.
No doubt (hmmmmn) the domain registration fee would have been having a
seriously adverse effect on the budget... or, was the site just a
problematic reminder of previous government's policies relating to
attempting to assist parents and child carers

Irene