[LINK] New proposal for e-voting - Turnbull

Richard rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Sep 10 19:12:40 AEST 2013

My previous message to Link seems to have gotten lost. I write it this way:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/10/turnbull_floats_evote_compulsory_id/

Turnbull was running off at the mouth in the original interview, really.
He's got this fixation, common on Australia's right, that we have a
dreadfully corrupt electoral system. As Antony Green told me for the
story, the verified level of voter fraud in Australia is tiny.

When I got the "you must correct" call from Turnbull's office today, I
conceded a factual error, and stood my ground on inference. I think he
was winding up to give me a lecture, but I talk faster, louder, and I
was having a bucket of fun.

In my opinion, even if he backtracked in later interviews, Turnbull was
clearly suggesting that voters should have to carry a formal ID to the
polling station. And I'll leave that particular can of worms for others
to unpick!

RC