[LINK] New proposal for e-voting - Turnbull

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Sep 10 22:48:43 AEST 2013

It's sounds to me like one of those things imported from the US extreme right wing.  Voter ID makes sense in the US because voting is not compulsory and it makes it harder for the poor to vote but it's just silly in Australia.

On 2013/Sep/10, at 10:22 PM, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 04:28:52PM +1000, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>> [We didn't hear a thing about it this time, even for disabled access.
>> What happened to the 'next big thing'? I'd be interested in Linkers'
>> view of the security of evoting now - have things changed or is
>> Diebold still sus?]
>
> diebold is worse than suss. diebold and other commercial US voting
> machines have so many security holes in them that it goes way beyond
> mere incompetence - they could only have been designed deliberately that
> bad.

Agreed, as for electronic voting there are simple ways of doing it reasonably well - like having the machine print out your ballot, so you can check it for yourself.  The real problem seems to be the tallying systems and they seem to be just as insecure.  The closer to the centre the more likely a simple compromise can compromise an election.  That's where we have to be really careful.  What benefits do electronic tallying give us?  A slightly speedier but much more vulnerable system of counting.