[LINK] New proposal for e-voting - Turnbull

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Fri Sep 13 12:12:32 AEST 2013

On 13/09/2013 11:45 AM, Jim Birch wrote:
> Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Which reminds me again (we have had this discussion before) that EMF
>> radiation from normal computers and monitors can make it possible to detect
>> from a distance what people vote.  I believe e-voting machines were banned
>> in the Netherlands for that reason.
>
> It's worth remembering that democracy is a cultural practice with legal and
> technical aspects rather than a legal or technical system.

Good point. In order to determine the magnitude and range of cultural
preferences, they could provide multiple mechanisms (they already do to
some extent), one of which could be e-voting.

That way, the wishes of individual groups can a) be met and b) be assessed.

If nobody turned up to polling stations, them that mechanism could be
discontinued.

Sometimes it is better to watch what people do rather than ask them what
they think.

--

Regards
brd