[LINK] New proposal for e-voting - Turnbull

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Fri Sep 13 13:43:35 AEST 2013

On 13/09/2013 12:33 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> <snip>
>> If nobody turned up to polling stations, then that mechanism could be
>> discontinued.
> It would be sad if the polling stations go. Election Days are real local
> community events. There are fetes, people stroll down to their local
> polling booths to vote, buy cakes and jams, hand out how to vote and
> scrutineer. To me this is the best part of the whole election cycle. I even
> saw two of the candidates!

Which would mean they are likely to be retained. If the punters at a
polling stations  were given a choice of a paper vote or an e-vote, then
that would indicate another preference.

They could also be given a choice of e-vote from home/smartphone or
e-vote from a polling station.

Unfortunately convenience often trumps other factors.

In the case of fraud using credit/debit cards money is fungible so banks
can deal with the fraud. Democratic votes aren't fungible. Tell that to
Sam Sixpack and he or she won't know what you are talking about.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn