[LINK] Robert X Cringely on the future of the smartphone and desktop - as seen by Apple.

Jim Birch planetjim at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 20:11:06 AEST 2013

I find this kind of statement literally incredible, whether taken in it as
a direct statement, or as its implied negative:

"Successful companies never get beaten or overtaken on their own turf - think
mainframes and IBM, Kodak and film."

The prosaic rendition of the same is that a very large number of attempts
to overtake these large established activities, and, unsurprisingly, very
few, but some, have succeeded.  Rather than being a sparkling insight, it
is more or less what you would expect, isn't it.

- Jim