[LINK] Fwd: Electronic Games

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 12:49:48 AEST 2013

The website Good Old Games (gog.com) obtains the rights for older games and
repackages them to play on modern operating systems.
They are very inexpensive for some classic games, and classic includes
anything older than 4 or 5 years ago.
If you register they give you 4 or 5 games for free to try out in your
library, and the games don't have DRM or other restrictions that might stop
you from getting full value for your purchase.
I recommend:
- Civilisation games for strategy
- Privateer and Wing Commander games for spaceship shooters
>From time to time they have sales with very deep discounts.

In a similar vein, Humble Bundle and Indie Royale (and a few others)
regularly offer a group of games at 'name your price'. There are usually
independant games or slightly older titles (like last year) but you can get
5 or 6 games for under $5.
Some people suggest that paying so little for games is a problem, but as
the alternative is I would never buy games at all, this way the publishers
are extracting $15 or $20 from me each year that they wouldn't have
otherwise seen.
And Steam have a huge sale each year at Thanksgiving (end of November)
where they will have many, many games at 75% or more discount.
Regards,
Michael