[LINK] NSW evoting system for next state election

Jan Whitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Wed Apr 2 09:34:37 AEDT 2014

At 09:21 AM 2/04/2014, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>>There must needs be a tracking system of some sort as to what is
>>being done by an individual should a recount (a la WA) be required.
>
>Jan, I think you misunderstood my question. The tick off after the
>question "have you voted already?" is manual. People do vote
>multiple times in multiple booths. If enough people do it - then
>along with them being fined the election would have to be rerun. If
>you are not on the roll but believe you are entitled to vote - then
>you fill out a stat dec and your vote goes into an envelope system.
>This happened to me when I moved from Canberra to Sydney. The rolls
>were out of date and I exercised my right to vote in the City
>Council election (despite being invited not to) and then the ACT
>government sent me fine for not voting in their elections. Getting
>the tick off the Roll to be electronic is probably more important
>than the actual voting.

I was actually making a different point to extend the discussion
rather than answer yours. I obviously didn't do that well enough.

The thought that struck me was the printed version of a completed
ballot versus a machine stored digital version of the same vote plus
postals plus whatever other form they are going to use. Which would
the recount? And what tracking would be done on each to avoid double
counting even if the individual only did vote once?

But, yes, getting ticked off the roll is one of those issues around
compulsory voting that needs to be explained. Plus if they are doing
net voting, I hope they have managed cookies properly. Otherwise
multiple voting might be too easy to do. We're back to systems thinking again.

>It isn't a recount in WA it is a re-election because the votes they
>lost are enough to influence the result.

There was a recount in the beginning, which is how they found out the
votes were lost in the first place. Otherwise it wouldn't have been
discovered at all.

To take that one further: yesterday there was a tease of a video on
The Age website in the morning that someone may have found the lost
votes. But then no more was said. Did anyone else see that or hear
anything more about it? Was it an April Fools Day prank??

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer