[LINK] Turnbull daftness

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Apr 9 19:27:33 AEST 2014

["We don't need no steenking reviews....]

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/government-it/malcolm-turnbull-locks-in-multitechnology-nbn-20140409-zqsqq.html

Without waiting for the results of key reviews, the federal
government has formally given new instructions to the company
building the national broadband network to use a variety of
technologies, in order to save time and money.

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Finance Minister Mathias
Cormann
<http://www.communications.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/221162/SOE_Shareholder_Minister_letter.pdf>issued
a new statement of expectations to the board of NBN Co on Tuesday,
effectively cementing one of six options contained in the strategic
review released in December.

The review highlighted a
<http://nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/NBN-Co-Strategic-Review-Report.pdf>multi-technology
mix as the best option for building the network. That means it will
use a combination of fibre to street cabinets and existing copper to
connect premises, as well as all-fibre connections for greenfield
estates, pay-TV cables where available, plus fixed-wireless and
satellite connections where required.

------------

So, since pay TV cables are outside my house, then if I want
highspeed affordable internet, not the 8Mbps limit I currently face
because of RIMs, then I would have to lock into a monopoly provider.
Or are they going to open up competition for access to the hybrid
cables now? Somehow I doubt Telstra will go for that. I guess I can
be happy that I won't lose my landline. Or will I? Does anyone know?

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer