[LINK] Free PR for Driverless Trucks

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Apr 17 08:44:36 AEST 2014

On 16/04/14 08:02, Roger Clarke wrote:
> ... I am opposed to media dumbly reporting what, in the absence of
> any solid evidence, looks very much like propaganda. ...

CSIRO released an okay report which covers the social impact of
automation in mining (there is more in the academic literature on this
topic):

"* Our own discussions with industry representatives indicate a possible
30-40 per cent reduction in the mining workforce (50% reduction in
operational roles) at those operations which adopt large-scale
automation. ...

* Previous research by the Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining
(CSRM) found that 50 per cent of Indigenous employees in an Australian
mining operation occupied semi-skilled positions such as truck driving,
followed by traineeships (20%), trades (12%), and administration (7%).
This indicates that Indigenous groups, in particular, are likely to be
significantly impacted by the large-scale uptake of automation. ...

* Autonomous and remote operation technologies may also present
opportunities for other demographic groups (such as women and people
living in larger regional centres) to participate in the mining industry
– spreading the benefits of mining and increasing
  workforce participation in the mining sector. ...

* Under current policy arrangements, if automation results in a smaller
resident workforce, this would generate a reduction in
population-dependent government services and funding levels for regional
communities (such as those relating to health and education). This
creates a tension similar to that experienced with the increasing use of
fly-in fly-out workforces at some mine sites in close proximity to
regional communities. ...

McNab, K. L., & Garcia-Vasquez, M. (2011). Autonomous and remote
operation technologies in Australian mining. Prepared for CSIRO Minerals
Down Under Flagship, Minerals Futures Cluster Collaboration, by the
Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining, Sustainable Minerals
Institute, The University of Queensland. Brisbane.
http://csiro.au/~/media/CSIROau/Flagships/Minerals%20Down%20Under/MF%20Cluster%20publications/McNab%20and%20GarciaReport25Autonomous%20and%20remote%20operation%20technologies%20in%20Australian%20mining.pdf

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/