[LINK] "Malcom’s multi-mix: An (up)load of rubbish"

Stephen Loosley stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Apr 18 11:15:43 AEST 2014

Blog: MICHELLE ROWLAND MP
Shadow Assistant Minister for Communications

Malcom’s multi-mix: An (up)load of rubbish
April 12, 2014

“The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys”.

So said Sir William Preece, the chief engineer of the British Post Office, in 1876.

Adjusted for real time, Malcolm Turnbull basically said the same this week.

For all the Minister’s flip-flopping over the past few days and the subsequent reporting, one of the key aspects that has largely been overlooked is the issue of the upload: its speed, quality and availability.  While Tony Abbott equates broadband infrastructure investment with a video entertainment system and thinks Malcolm Turnbull invented the Internet, one would have hoped his Minister might have acquired some appreciation of the importance of the upload.

But throughout the whole NBN debate, the issue of the upload has taken a back seat.  In fact, in his whole time in Parliament, the Minister for Communications has only mentioned the word “upload” once.

And indeed, the Government’s decision this week to lock Australia’s broadband future into a multi-technology mix approach (http://www.financeminister.gov.au/media/2014/mr_2014-22.html), despite foregoing its once sacrosanct prerequisite for a cost-benefit analysis, does more than just expose the Minister’s rank hypocrisy.

In its new Statement of Expectations, the once explicitly promised delivery of 25 Mbps download speeds by 2016 has been refashioned as a “policy objective”.  The download promise broken, one looks to the upload.  All we are given is a parenthesised objective of “proportionate upload rates”.  What does that even mean?

It means Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull have sold Australia down the path of least innovation.  Ours is a messenger boy future.

During its time in Opposition, the Coalition focused solely on the download, something they still do today.  Yet anyone with interest in the ICT sector knows that the big gains in national productivity are achieved by the highest quality, ubiquitous broadband infrastructure with the capability for correspondingly high upload speeds.