[LINK] FTTP soon normal

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Apr 28 08:41:35 AEST 2014

On 25/04/14 18:20, Stephen Loosley wrote:

> ... FTTP model directly contradicts statements by Communications
> Minister Malcolm Turnbull that the telco is focusing on the
> Coalition’s preferred Fibre to the Node model ...

In practice there may be little difference between FTTP and FTTN, due to
the last 3m, in old homes.

An acquaintance recently had the NBN installed in their home. The
installer was unable (or unwilling) into run the fibre to the home
office where the computer wass. The installer said the fibre was not
flexible and so could not be bent around the tight spaces under the
house. This sounds more like an excuse for not undertaking a difficult
installation to me.

So the fibre now terminates in a cupboard in the centre of the house,
about 3m from the office. The householder is then left with the problem
of how to get the data the last 3m. They are reluctant to run copper
cable internally and can't easily run it under the floor, for the same
reason the fibre installer did not want to go there.

The householder asked me about using Ethernet over power. My initial
reaction was against this, as it seems a shame to carry potentially
gigabytes of data into the house on a nice clean optical cable and then
try and push it over a dirty electrical cable (which might do 200 mbps).
But then what other choice do they have: wireless?

For old houses, perhaps NBN should adopt FTTW (Fibre to the Wall): run
the fibre to where the existing phone cable enters the house and splice
the NBN into the phone cable. The householder's existing phone would
then operate as normal and broadband could be provided either over the
same phone cable using ADSL, by Ethernet over power, or WiFi.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/