[LINK] FTTP soon normal

Rachel Polanskis gr0ve at exemail.com.au
Mon Apr 28 11:38:50 AEST 2014

On 28 Apr 2014, at 11:12 am, Christopher Vance <cjsvance at gmail.com> wrote:

> A lot of Ethernet these days is 1000Mb/s.

I run Gigabit Ethernet on my home network.  100Mbps is a limitation
on an NBN FTTH connection!  I have 100/40 and it is pretty much giving me
80% of that all the time and more.  When we moved to NBN we had a 100Mbps
LAN at home and could see the latency compared to the previous 4Mbps we
had previously. My old ISP promised “up to” 25Mbps but we never saw more
than 5.   So when we got the 100/40 link, it made sense to upgrade the internal
LAN capacity to use it to its fullest potential. The switch we use has
Gig-E WAN port so if that becomes possible in future, we have scope.

Gigabit ethernet is a lot more common than you think.  We use it on the
home LAN to supply NAS services to the desktops, plus I run some server
parts I am hoping will eventually be available on the wider Internet
so I need that internal throughput at home to be as fast as possible.

All our Macs support Gig-E so it is pointless to not use it, as well.

Also, when it comes to the internal fibre link from the wall outside,
we were told it is Single Mode Fibre and so is only suitable for short runs.
The guys who did the install for us wanted to punch straight through
the wall into the lounge room, behind the TV, but I insisted it
go through upstairs to the home office immediately above.  The solution
without having to install extra bits or connectors was to just run the
cable straight up the wall outside, with it tucked behind the drain pipe
and punch through into the wall upstairs.  We have the NBN ONT with 4
ports (only use one) and the little UPS backup box.  We use an FXS port
with a traditional phone attached to the switch.  The switch attaches
to the ONT and is configured much the same as any DSL device.  We get
a static IP and the switch runs the SIP stuff for VOIP.  This is where it
gets tricky - if there is a power outage, the ONT will stay up, but we
need a UPS for the switch now, as with the phone. Some of this kind of
logic may be beyond ordinary users, as they may expect to have a phone
service in a blackout, but will not, unless they back the network
or at least the switch, with a UPS!

rachel