[LINK] FTTP soon normal

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon Apr 28 17:36:23 AEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Frank O'Connor <
francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Most WiFi routers you buy nowadays are 380Mbs, or better, multichannel
> devices that can handle much more bandwidth than the old 54Mbs puppies. The
> default WiFi in any 'puter you buy nowadays can handle this no problems.

Don't confuse the marketing numbers with the truth.

In practice, if you can pull 100Mbps out of Wifi then you've probably
bought yourself a reasonably high-end router, and you probably have line of
sight to the basestation.

If you're using the "default WiFi" that comes in most routers/computers,
you're getting far, far less than that number.

Ethernet is now hitting 10 Gbs (but I only have a 1Gbs port on the back of
> my 18 month old Mac)

10Gbps is still only in the world of server products, and will stay there
for at least a few years to come - it's certainly nowhere near being a
consumer product at this stage.

  Scott