[LINK] OT? Re: Australian Patents

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Sat Dec 6 11:20:20 AEDT 2014

At 11:01 AM 6/12/2014, Dr Bob Jansen you wrote:
>My view of patenting is that it is only worth the effort if you can afford it in the first place, then can detect when the idea is abused and then can afford to enforce the patent. So any small startup may not have the cash to patent in the first place but if they subsequently can not afford to enforce the patent then what is the point in the first place. From memory, there have been many accounts of large companies just out-paying the patent holder and so the protection is worthless.

I would think this expense would be figured into the VC arrangements. After all, the VCs also want that IP protected or else their return is useless. Of course, that is assuming the start-up has that sort of backing available.

Jan

"Lost Anchors" - Now available on Amazon in both print and Kindle versions.
Print: http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Anchors-J-Kirsten/dp/1502541556/
Ebook : <http://mybook.to/lostanchors>myBook.to/lostanchors

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

<https://www.amazon.com/author/jlwhitaker>JL Whitaker
"On A Life's Edge" -
US Amazon print and digital http://viewBook.at/OALEdge
Apple iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/on-a-lifes-edge/id893736824?mt=11

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer