[LINK] RFC: 'Consumer-Oriented Social Media'

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Feb 12 17:28:37 AEDT 2014

As I read the paper, I formed the conclusion that the context was
constrained to commerce.

The definition of business model in section 2.2 is couched in terms of
'profitable and sustainable revenue streams' and 'The widespread
understanding is that "social networking sites can generate revenues
through advertising, subscription, and transaction models" '

You do refer to government, however it is not clear if you are including
governments as primary users of social media or as a provider of
infrastructure, acquirers of information from social media sites and
developers of laws and regulations within which social media may operate.

I suggest it would be very useful if you included business models for
government as well as commerce. Including government as both a
participant and regulator of the social media eco-system is of course
problematic, but that's the real world.

And I don't see why A Social Network Users' Bill of Rights should not
apply equally to government as well as commerce, although government may
claim that in certain cases you should have one and only one identity
that you cannot revoke. Now there's a can of nematodes.

If you do decide to broaden the scope to include government, then maybe
the word "consumer" is not the best, although governments do like to
think of themselves as providers of services which get consumed by the
community.

--

Regards
brd