[LINK] Brandis loves companies, hates people

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 14 17:35:06 AEDT 2014

Give him a break .... he's gotta think about his life after politics, not the electorate that voted him in, not the general public, and definitely not the good of the country.

He's sold his (probably non-existent) soul to the content industry, come down on the side of people who buy (not create) IP, and is dedicated to increasing their hold on that IP even more. These rent seekers are his natural constituency.

'Fair Use?' Pshaw! Consumers, the electorate, the people who voted him and his confederates in ... only deserve the ever decreasing rights over the copyright that the industry and government see fit to leave them. Authors, songwriters , musicians and those communist creative types rightly assign that copyright to his constituency for a pittance to these greys suited middle men ... who now control said copyright for 70, 80 even 100 years if Andrew Robb gets to sign off on the TPP 'free trade' treaty.

Copyright? The fruits of creativity. The right to innovate and build on past works and inventions (which in the final analysis is how human progress has been defined for the last few thousand generations) ... Much, much too good for the peasantry ... could even be dangerous ... we need to stop all that now. Better to concentrate it in the hands of the few, and ensure that the few earn an inordinately good living off it for time immemorial.

'What about the public?', you say? Hell ... we only need to worry about them every three years or so.

What we want is a nice pliant little population of consumers of copyright and IP, bought from actual creative people, who don't rock the boat and expect society to advance or develop in any way.

Got news for you, George .... our so called elites don't control the information flow anymore and the Australian public is getting really restive with a political elite that increasingly represents global business rather than our interests. It's been happening for 25-30 years, and both sides of politic are on the nose, but over the last 5-10 years people have been tuning out from mainstream media and the channels you use to pontificate from on high, and have been exploring divergent non-mainstream opinion and ideas, content and culture.

I doubt he's even conscious of this shift ... and still thinks its all under control.

I'm thinking that Brandis lives about 20 years in the past, and has no idea how the world is changing.

And as for corporations being persons rather than entities ... the US Supreme Court has a lot to answer for with respect to that. It was a recent decision ... last year from memory. But our Australian politicians (no matter what their political leanings) have been in the pockets of big corporations since the late 60's and probably before that.

It's one of the reasons we love them so much.             :)

And as I said ... Brandis will need other income sources when he retires from politics (what good politician doesn't ... aside from Ted Mack that is) ... so what harm if he begins feathering his nest now?

I mean. I mean .... he's 'entitled' (to the most expensive bookshelf and office renovations in the land, to all those superannuation and other niceness, to those oodles of privileges, cards, expense reimbursements, travel and all the other stuff our political elite has fought so hard for over the last one hundred and fourteen years).

Just my 2 cents worth ...
---