[LINK] Cyberattacks, max the CPU and turn-off fans

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Feb 27 17:57:33 AEDT 2014

This is hardly new(s).

Viruses that damage "hardware" date back to at least 1998 with the CIH
virus that overwrote the computers BIOS, in a day where this could
frequently not be recovered from without physically replacing the BIOS chip
in many systems - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIH_(computer_virus)

The "overheating" experiment has been carried out several times and is
nothing new. Doing it on a Mac may be new, but that's about it.

However if you want to talk about malware damaging hardware you don't need
to look any further than Stuxnet, which is suspect of destroying as many as
1000 uranium enrichment centrifuges in Iran in 2009 -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

The odds of this actually occurring in a widespread malware attack are low.
A malware infected PC is worth far more to a bot-net owner "alive" than
dead.

  Scott
  (Speaking for myself, not on behalf of my employer who may happen to be
mentioned in the article...)