[LINK] Net retailing

Jan Whitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Mon Jan 6 10:15:12 AEDT 2014

At 12:24 AM 6/01/2014, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>No matter what you're looking for, there's a series of scrolling menus at
>the side of the page allowing you to refine your search by brand, size and
>colour -- each of them with hundreds of options.
>
>To be fair, David Jones' offering isn't exactly top-notch either, with a
>series of ill-defined categories that encompass more than 2000 items, from
>belts to trucker caps, which you're welcome to browse across 108 pages.
>
>That didn't stop DJs recording a tenfold increase in online sales last
>financial year. But again, we can only assume this was off a very low base.

These are two examples of BRD's point last week about the lack of
knowledge in the information space. But you'd think they would at
least model on successful operations, oh, I don't know, maybe like
Amazon? No one seems to have a problem navigating there. Their
subject clustering is much more extensive and also include multiple
suppliers. Of course they have had a few years to build this up.
Still, they carry *millions* of options, not just a puny 2000.

DJs and Myer would be better off buying their backend services from
Amazon. They are setting up shop in Australia, if they didn't know.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer